Best Selling Acrylic Painting Instructional Book

Zen Houses Online Workshop

Zen Painting Online Workshop

Thursday, November 23, 2017

Film Your Art & Techniques with my 5 Top Recommendations

Do you want to video tape your art for online classes? I'm frequently asked what I use to film my online classes and other videos so I thought I'd compile a list of what I use.  Not everything is the newest model as I only tend to upgrade every couple of years.  I'm almost ready to upgrade this year adding on new microphones and MAYBE a new camcorder. I'm debating getting one with 4k but honestly, it's not really necessary for what  I'm doing.  I'd be curious to hear if anyone has one they use and would recommend.



(This post does contain links where I'll get a referral commission at no cost to you if you purchase. Your support helps me keep my content and classes developing for you!)

1. With live video becoming such a hot thing for spreading the word about what you do, having a tripod that can hold your phone/camera easily is a must.  Here's one that's affordable for most.  I'll also share one that is a little more top of the line.   Create your Facebook Live posts or Instagram stories with ease!



A little more top of the line:




2. This lighting kit is probably more than you need, but a bargain with all the extras!  I found it to be a good starter set, the tripod lighting stands aren't the sturdiest I've seen but for occasional filming, they do the job.  I've had the same bulbs for  2 years now.   The only thing I might add is a table top light, but that's just me.








3. After working with the 39.99 standard tripod you find at most electronic stores, I finally invested in a much sturdier product that also had an overhead arm.   I purchased this a few years ago and it's made all the difference in the world to me.   My filming angles are much better, set up options are infinite with the Vanguard model.  There may be newer models out there but if you can catch this on sale,  snag it up!



4.  Probably the most asked question is what camera do you use. I suggest getting a camcorder that is the best you can get within your budget.  Mine is middle of the road, it is a bit more pricey but not super expensive. One of my main requirements is great audio and super clear picture (haha, who doesn't want that), but you'd be surprised at the difference in sound and picture clarity between brands.  I wish this bundle was available when I made my purchase-it has everything you need and more to get filming!




5.  Now that you have the equipment, you need some software to edit with.  If you have a mac-well you are already taken care of with imovie, but I am a PC hold out (and in no hurry to change over), so additional software was necessary.

 I chose a program for me that has more than I will probably ever use,  because as I grow in my own understanding of more complex editing options, I want a program that can grow with me.  There are a lot of video tutorials on the manufacturers website that should be more than enough to get you started.   

Honestly though, in addition to having a robust program, you really need a fast computer to render your files.  If your speed is too slow, you'll find producing your videos akin to stirring molasses.  Very thick molasses!

  Internet--well suffice to say you need to have lightening fast service to upload your video files as well.   Trust me on this one, after spending 4 hours uploading a 10 minute video on DSL--upgrading to the turbo charge cable internet surface was a HUGE blessing, that same video size now takes me about 7 minutes or so to upload if not faster.

   I'm not an expert on how fast is optimal for your computer/internet, but my method is to get the fastest you can afford.  You'll be glad you did!





I hope you found some of these suggestions helpful as you get started filming your craft or hobby.  It's a big investment,  but you are worth it!

As I find new things or think of additional add on items you could use, I'll update this post.  Until then, hit record and have fun!

Gratefully yours,

Jodi Ohl





No comments :